Travel Adapter Guide



Electrical plug adapters are usually required when you travel abroad. Adapters enable your appliances to be plugged in to any type of electrical outlet around the world by changing the pin configuration of your voltage power plug. Remember - Travel Adapter Plugs do not change the voltage or the current that comes out of the outlet. If you have a question about changing electrical voltage, please go to the About Dual Voltage Section Below.

To see a complete list of countries and the countries' voltage requirements and adapter plugs see Adapters Listed by Country.

Adapter & Converter Kits

Adapters and Converters packaged together make an easy solution for the traveler who is visiting multiple countries with different electrical outlets.Generally, only non-grounded adapters are included in the adapter/converter kits so be sure to buy grounded adapters as well if you are planning to use grounded (3 prong) appliances.  Note that we do offer a Grounded Adapter Plug Kit for Europe – but this does not come with any converters – just the plugs.  Always double-check the wattage of your appliances to ensure that you choose the right converter or transformer.

Voltage Converters

Converters change the voltage of the electricity coming out of the wall outlet to be compatible with your appliances. Going In Style has both converters for both Americans traveling to Europe and Europeans traveling to America.  It is important to remember that converters are only designed for short-term use (20 – 25 minutes) - prolonged use will cause the converter to automatically shut down after time – but without damage to either your converter or your appliance.

Voltage Transformers

Transformers (sometimes deceptively called converters) perform the same function as a converter; namely, to modify the electrical wall voltage to be compatible with your appliances. The key difference here is that transformers are designed to operate continuously, whereas converters are meant only for short-term use. The trade-off is that voltage transformers are heavier in weight than voltage converters.

Phone & Modem Accessories

Need accessories for connecting your computer up to the internet? Going In Style offers a wide selection of telephone and modem accessories for your laptop or notebook computer.


Grounded Adapters

If you are traveling with a grounded United States dual/multi-voltage appliance or using a grounded Transformer you will need to use a grounded adaptor plug. A grounded United States plug has two flat blades and one round pin.

Nongrounded Adapters

Going In Style offers non-grounded adapter plugs for use with your voltage converter, transformer, or dual/multi voltage appliance. A non-grounded United States plug has two flat blades.


When traveling with appliances it is important to know whether your appliance is dual voltage.  If it is not dual voltage you will need either a converter or a transformer when traveling.

This above video will show you how to check to make sure your appliance is dual voltage.  

Typically cell phones, cameras, tablets and laptops are dual voltage and do not need a converter.

Usually hair dryers, curling irons, battery chargers, hair straighteners, electronic razors and electronic toothbrushes not dual voltage.  These appliances will need either a converter or a transformer.  It is important to check the label for each of your appliances that you will be traveling with.

The United States runs on about 120 volts electricity while many other countries run on 220 volts electricity or higher.  Without a converter or transformer you can burn out your appliance.

All your Appliances are Dual Voltage ?

If all your appliances are dual voltage and are labeled 100-240V (look for the 240V), then you do not need a Converter nor do you need a Transformer.  Please go to the “See Adapter List by Country Chart” from the link below, review the list of countries you are traveling to and choose your adapter plugs.  Adapter plugs are all you will need.