Travel Adapter Guide Shop Adapters Palo Alto, CA

Going In Style's adapter guide is a comprehensive guide to learning about adapters, converters and transformers and traveling with electrics, laptops, iPhones and hair dryers. Purchase your travel adapters from our flagship store 609 Stanford Shopping Center, Palo Alto, CA 94304 and our expert adapter staff can help you choose the correct travel adaptor for your travel plans. Learn which adapter you will need when you travel to International countries Argentina, Brazil, France...

About Travel Adapters and Travel Converters

Electrical plug adapters are usually required when you travel abroad to a foreign country because each country had its own type of power outlets. Adapters enable your appliances to be plugged in to any type of electrical outlet around the world by changing the pin configuration of your voltage power plug. Remember - Travel Adapter Plugs do not change the voltage or the current that comes out of the outlet. To change the voltage you will need a transformer or power converter.

Voltage Converters

Converters change the voltage of the electricity coming out of the wall outlet to be compatible with your appliances. Going In Style has both converters for both Americans traveling to Europe and Europeans traveling to America.  It is important to remember that converters are only designed for short-term use (20 – 25 minutes) - prolonged use will cause the converter to automatically shut down after time – but without damage to either your converter or your appliance.

Voltage Transformers

Transformers (sometimes deceptively called converters) perform the same function as a converter; namely, to modify the electrical wall voltage to be compatible with your appliances. The key difference here is that transformers are designed to operate continuously, whereas converters are meant only for short-term use. The trade-off is that voltage transformers are heavier in weight than voltage converters.

Phone & Modem Accessories

Need accessories for connecting your computer up to the internet? Going In Style offers a wide selection of telephone and modem accessories for your laptop or notebook computer.


Grounded Adapters

If you are traveling with a grounded United States dual/multi-voltage appliance or using a grounded Transformer you will need to use a grounded adaptor plug. A grounded United States plug has two flat blades and one round pin.

Non-Ground Travel Adapters

If you are traveling with a non-grounded appliances that has a two prong power plug you will need a nongrounded travel adapter for your trip.

Watch Going In Style's Video about Grounded and Non-Grounded Travel Adapter plugs.


When traveling with appliances it is important to know whether your appliance is dual voltage.  If it is not dual voltage you will need either a converter or a transformer when traveling.

Typically cell phones, cameras, tablets and laptops are dual voltage and do not need a converter.

All your Appliances are Dual Voltage ?

If all your appliances are dual voltage and are labeled 100-240V (look for the 240V), then you do not need a Converter nor do you need a Transformer.  Please go to the “See Adapter List by Country Chart” from the link below, review the list of countries you are traveling to and choose your adapter plugs.  Adapter plugs are all you will need.

Watch Going In Style's Video about Dual Voltage Appliances and when you need a converter or transformer.